The St Patrick's River, the largest tributary of the North Esk, is dammed at Nunamara to provide the majority of Launceston's town water since the mid-1800s.
Since the 1960s, parts of Launceston have been protected by a series of flood levees that reach up to 4 metres (13 ft) in height as large portions of the suburbs Invermay and Newstead sit within a flood plain.
Small hotels and breweries began to emerge in the 1820s, before larger, more "substantial" hotels were built in the 1830s.
Sporting groups, political groups, churches and schools were often established in these hotels; however, they also hosted plays, musical soirees and readings, until theatres were built.
The topography of the area is not conducive to easy dispersion of airborne pollution, due to the phenomenon of thermal inversion.
During recent years the city's air quality has improved.
Dating Relationship is the Top Finest Global Dating Website Around.
Paterson himself also served as Lieutenant-Governor of northern Van Diemen's Land from 1804 to 1808.
Not long beforehand, Tasmania played Victoria in Australia's first first-class cricket match at the NTCA Ground in 1851.
As a result, areas of Launceston are subject to landslip problems, while others are liable to poor drainage and periodic flooding.
The last major flood occurred in 1929 when Invermay was completely devastated.
More than 4,000 people were left homeless after just one night of flooding. The council has acquired land used by eighteen businesses on the south side of Lindsay Street in Invermay, with businesses having until July 2009 to leave.